Dental Tips for Toddlers and Children
Teething is one of the first rituals of life . Teaching good dental habits at a young age will lead to a healthy smile .
- New born’s also need gentle home care. If you are parent of a new born , wipe your new born’s gums with a soft ,clean damp cloth after each feeding .This healthy routine will control accumulation of plaque .
- As soon as your child’s teeth start to come out, you must brush them with a pea -sized amount of fluoride tooth paste.
- It is healthy practise for parents to take their child to their routine dental visits. This exercise will help reduce your child’s anxiety in the dental chair when they see a dentist for their check up appointments.
- Encourage children to drink water that is optimally fluoridated instead of fruit juice.
- Parents should not give an unattended or sleeping child a bottle with milk or juice. Instead, children should drink water to prevent baby bottle tooth decay.
- Dental sealants are an excellent way to prevent tooth decay in children. The dental sealant procedure takes only minutes, is painless, is less than half the cost of a filling.
- Children actively involved in sports need a robust mouth protection to prevent any damage and injuries during play .A mouth guard is a great way to keep your teeth safe and intact . Ask us for more information on sports mouth guards.
- If your child or even an adult has a permanent tooth knocked out of his/her mouth, follow these procedures: rinse the tooth very gently (please do not scrub) and place it in a cup of warm milk (salt water is also an option) call us immediately on our practice number 09 827 1664 bring your child and the soaking tooth immediately for stabilisation.